CSU, Fullerton prohibits hazing. Hazing is defined to be: Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student; or willfully destroys or removes public or private property for the purpose of affiliation, initiation, admission or as a condition of continued membership in any organization recognized as a fraternity, sorority, athletic team or student organization by CSU, Fullerton, on or off University, fraternity, or sorority property. Examples of conduct that would violate this policy may include but are not limited to:
- All forms of physical activity not part of an organized, voluntary athletic context or not specifically directed toward constructive work.
- Any activity (including voluntary athletic contests and constructive work) that might reasonably bring harm to the individual.
- Paddling, beating, or otherwise permitting undergraduate or alumni members to hit individuals.
- Depriving individuals of the opportunity for sufficient sleep, decent and edible meals, or access of means of maintaining bodily cleanliness.
- Activities that interfere with an individual's academic efforts by causing exhaustion, loss of sleep, or loss of reasonable study time
- Requiring individuals to consume alcohol or drugs.
- Forcing, coercing, or permitting individuals to eat or drink foreign or unusual substances.
- Any requirement which compels an individual to participate in any activity which is illegal, perverse, publicly indecent, contrary to the individual's moral and/ or religious beliefs, or contrary to the Student Code of Conduct and/ or policies and regulations of the University. Groups such as fraternities, athletic teams, and student organizations may be held accountable for misconduct by individuals committed in the context of group membership.
CSU, Fullerton expects that all members of all recognized student organizations will observe and fully comply with University Policy and Title V. Education Code and State of California Penal Code Section 245.6 requirements on hazing. For more information, click here .